There is something reassuring about standing for something, and knowing what we stand for.
For men and women who are true to themselves and to the virtues and standards they have
personally adopted, it is not difficult to be true to others.
{ Gordon B. Hinckley, standing for something }



Sweet Sixteen

My darling niece Alison turns 16 this week! Ali is my very first niece and was born when I was just 15 years old. What's weirding me out about Alison being 16 (besides that she will be able to drive and date) is that I was her age when I met Grant and she was just a little one running around saying funny things. Grant and both somewhat still see her as a spunky redheaded toddler, and yet, here she is, a lovely, cute and funny young adult. Alison is wonderful to be around. She is accomplished and talented and will be playing "Giselle" from Enchanted at her choir's Valentine's concert at school (isn't she a perfect fit?). She loves to sing, is oozing with confidence, which is more than I could say when I was her age, and isn't afraid to try new things. She has already completed her Young Womanhood award for Young Women, and since I am working on mine, I know what a big deal that is and how much work it takes. I think she is amazing! Happy Birthday, Ali!

3 comments:

mrs.d said...

Okay--hold the phone: Ali got an iTunes gift card, which means she is into iTunes and/or has an iPod? Plus, I don't use that excellent hair product nearly as often as she does/I should/I'd like. As suspected, my niece is more hip than I. Crap.

Anyhoo--love this sweet girl. And the fact that she's 16 boggles my mind. I remember the day she was born so clearly, don't you, Monica? Dad was holding down the fort while Mom was in SLC for Papa's surgery; you were home after your jaw surgery and I came home from CVJH for lunch as usual--but since it wasn't "usual" for Dad, and I think he felt obliged to feed us, but you couldn't chew much, he took us to DQ...score!!

I was SO excited to return to school and tell my friends about my new and very first niece, which I thought was extra cool only being in junior high myself. It was so hard to wait to go down and see her at the hospital!

You highlighted so many of the fantastic qualities that I admire in Ali. She's a beauty, inside and out! I can see why Sherri's more nervous about the dating than the driving!

Laura said...

She's gorgeous!!

Sherri said...

Thank you for this "sweet" post. No really, thank you (and Mrs. D) for sharing your thoughts about her. I can't wait to show this to her tomorrow. She is a wonderful daughter. I am a very lucky Mom. Keep your fingers crossed on Wed - Drivers License Day!!!