There is something reassuring about standing for something, and knowing what we stand for.
For men and women who are true to themselves and to the virtues and standards they have
personally adopted, it is not difficult to be true to others.
{ Gordon B. Hinckley, standing for something }



Conquering My Fears

Hello, my name is Monica, and I'm deathly afraid of sewing. I like to consider myself a crafty person, but sewing and anything related are definite phobias of mine. Maybe because I'm such an "eyeball it" kind of person and sewing feels so much less forgiving -- everything seems so final once you've sewn it (and I know it's not -- I picked out many a project in 8th grade sewing, believe me). BUT, I decided I needed to conquer my fears, because I've wanted to learn how to make hooded baby towels for a long time, and I have a friend that not only knows how to make them, but was willing to show me. And I have access to a sewing machine. So I knew I needed to take advantage of the opportunity. So, deep breath, I tried it, and . . . not so bad! I think I could do it again all by myself! Which is a good thing because a lot family and friends are having babies, and I've got a lot of towels to make . . .

Getting started -- so scary!


I almost look like I know what I'm doing, huh.


Karen was an absolute angel for being patient enough to walk me
through this project . . . and to put up with my dorkiness!


The finished product. Don't look too close -- guaranteed you'll find
a few mistakes. Still, not bad for my first attempt!

One down and only how many to go?

8 comments:

mrs.d said...

OOoo!! Pick me, pick me!! You'll have to demonstrate your mad skills when you are here!! Makes me want to bust out my machine right now!..which I need to do anyway and get working on our friends' baby quilt.

Misty said...

Look at you. The picture of you wearing the towel is the BEST! You are so dang cute!

The Moyers said...

Way to go! The towels look good. You look great! Please come to Colorado...please!!! We could have all sorts of adventures together!!!

Laura said...

Great job chica! The hooded towel looks GREAT!! Fun photos!

Karen Kunzler said...

You are awesome Monica!!!! Thanks for a fun night of many laughs:)!!!!!

James and Summer said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MONICA!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! LOVE YOU TONS!
Summie

Grant said...

I just hope one comes in Grant size.

Anonymous said...

I love to make these, they are so easy and the people I have given them to seem to really like them. It is a nice thing to make a few at a time and put them away for when you need them. I am working on a baby sewing project of my own. I will have to show it to you.